CORONAL POLISHING CERTIFICATION
(Blended Class (Online/ Home Study & In-Person)
12 CE Units
Dental board of ca Approval #CP 36
Price: $250.00 course fee
Coronal Polishing Course Information
Coronal Polishing Course for the RDA or RDA Applicants
In order for RDAs to perform duties for the coronal polishing procedure, a board approved coronal polishing course is required to be completed. Upon successful completion of the course, a certificate of completion shall be given.
In order to qualify in taking the course, the student should bring a copy of the
following on the second session (laboratory day) or along with the registration:
- Certificate of completion for the California 8-hour Infection Control
- Current CPR card (AHA or ARC)
Course Content and Format:
The Coronal Polishing course is a dental board of California approved course, which will satisfy the state board requirements for state certification of an RDA with Coronal Polishing procedure. The course consists of three aspects:
- Didactic (Home-study): Students will learn the theoretical aspects relating to the pit and fissure sealants procedure such as basic dental anatomy, infection control, etc.
- Laboratory: Students will learn the step-by-step procedure of the coronal polishing procedure through laboratory experience with a typodont/manikin.
- Clinical: Students will be required to complete three (3) clinical practices on live patients.
Course Requirements – (Home-study) Session 1:
On the first day, which is a home-study, students will complete the didactic portion of the Coronal Polishing Class at their own time for 4 hours and it must be done prior to the laboratory training schedule.
Course Requirements - Session 2:
On the second day of the course, students will be required to bring three clinical patients in the afternoon.
NOTE: (ANOTHER OPTION) Three (3) Clinical Practice on a patient can be done in their Dental Office as long as the Dentist is willing to supervise the DA student and sign the extramural facility contract from the course provider.
a. The criteria for these patients are:
- Must be at least 18 years or older.
- Calculus Free
- Moderate plaque
- No history of cardiovascular or kidney problem
- No braces or any orthodontic treatment
- Must complete all the clinical forms (patient information, medical/health history, calculus free forms, consent forms and etc).
- Must have an Rx (prescription or letter from the DDS or RDH) stating that the Patient is calculus free or must sign the calculus free form provided by the school.
- 75% passing written score
- 75% passing clinical score
Patient and Students Responsibilities:
1. It is mandatory that all students wear protective eyewear, gloves and masks.
2. Students must wear a uniform and a professional lab coat.
3. 3 (three) clinical patients must be calculus free. A licensed dentist or licensed dental hygienist must examine and sign the calculus free forms. You will not be able to complete this course unless you and your patients have the signed forms.
4. You must complete and sign all clinical forms before you can bring your clinical patients in the operatory.
5. You have to ask permission to your instructor or supervising dentist before you can bring or seat your clinical patients.
6. Your instructor or supervising dentist must check and signed all the clinical forms and evaluation sheets before you can start your coronal polishing procedures.
If the student did not achieve the minimum competency on the clinical practice
Course requirement, the student must retake the whole Coronal Polishing Certification program and pay the whole course fees.